The Prahran Assumption Football Club (PAFC) would like to issue the following statement regarding the delayed start to season 2020 due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the impact on upcoming club events.
Like many clubs we prepared for the season with an anticipation of a highly successful year under our new coaching team of Matthew Boland, Matthew Clifford and Adam Collett.
In this fast evolving landscape many questions remain unanswered. What we can confirm is:
- We have been notified by the VAFA on Tuesday March 17 that the 2020 season is postponed until at least May 31.
- All training and practice matches are cancelled until otherwise notified.
- Our season launch on Saturday March 21 at The Smith is cancelled.
- Our Anzac Day luncheon and 1990 State Bank re-union is cancelled.
Given there are so many known unknowns what we cannot confirm is:
- When the season starts and when revised fixtures will be notified by the VAFA football department.
- If our planned Team of The Decade function on May 23 will go ahead.
- If our planned Football/Netball Trivia night on May 9 and other social events will go ahead.
- If our planned State Bank 1990 VAFA premiership re-union on July 18 will go ahead.
- If our planned Prahran VFA 1970 premiership re-union and Jack Morgans Luncheon will go ahead.
We thank those financial members and sponsors who have already joined for 2020 and to all supporters as we endeavour to negotiate what lies ahead.
For your information the Prahran Netball Association has postponed all competitions until at least April 14 as of last Saturday and as a result none of our junior netball teams will continue training.
The Prahran Junior Football Club has also cancelled all training and practice matches and will not resume competition before May 31.
PAFC continues to take its lead from the AFL, AFL VIC, the VAFA and the various government agencies on COVID19 issues. The health and safety of our players, coaches, committee, members, medical staff, volunteers and supporters is paramount.
In closing we urge everyone to follow those health and safety guidelines provided by the Government to assist us all in these challenging times.
Prahran Assumption Football Club