Gallant Two Blues now play Finals Waiting Game


Gallant in defeat is an old fashioned term but never more apt than Prahran Assumption’s brave effort against Division 1 ladder leader Hampton Rovers on Saturday.

The Two Blues were always going to need everything in their favour to win and no doubt the rain that fell in the second and final quarters proved crucial. It was no co-incidence these quarters proved to be scoreless for the Two Blues as their running game ground to a halt in the wet, slippery conditions. This was a high pressure contest with the Two Blues logging more than 80 tackles but Hampton surely exceeded that tally such was their pressure on the ball carrier. To be fair the home team had nine more scoring shots and the ball was in their forward 50 for large periods of the game, all the more credit to the Two Blues defence which was stoic to the end. The nine point loss means the Two Blues are a game out of the four and while their finals fate is out of their hands all is not lost. Fourth placed Oakleigh must down third placed Therry Penola while the Two Blues host relegation bound Ivanhoe at Toorak Park. Because of superior percentage an Oakleigh loss and Prahran Assumption win will mean a finals berth for the Two Blues. But back to Saturday where a guaranteed finals spot was on the line. James Falcone and Jack Matherson combined for the first goal of the match inside five minutes in a promising start. Falcone was the dominant player on the ground in the first quarter and predictably was tagged thereafter. Joe Whiting and Tom Freeman combined to drive the ball forward for a Tim Maya snap a goal and when a long pass from Joel Hume was marked and converted by Matherson the Two Blues led by seven points at the first break. The second quarter proved a real arm wrestle after steady rain fell. The home team’s 1-6 to nil keep the door ajar for the Two Blues. The Two Blues had to make their move in the third quarter and did so through goals to Matherson (2), the best forward on the ground, and Maya while crucially Hampton converted goals from two free kicks. The third quarter lasted an astonishing 36 minutes with the Two Blues clinging to a one point lead but the home team kicking to the scoring end for the final quarter. A rain storm at the start of the quarter proved fatal for the Two Blues who tried hard but their running game was rendered ineffective. Hampton, physically stronger, missed four set shots in succession before a goal late in the quarter sealed the game. A disappointing postscript to the game was the dislocated shoulder to key forward Brent Chapman in these final minutes.

PRAHRAN ASSUMPTION 3-3 3-3 6-5 6-5 (41) lost to HAMPTON ROVERS 2-2 3-8 5-10 6-14 (50).

Goals: Matherson 3, Maya 2, Falcone.

Best: Whiting, T Freeman, Webb, Matherson, Hume, Dickinson.



PRAHRAN ASSUMPTION 1-0 2-0 2-1 2-1 (13) lost to HAMPTON ROVERS 6-5 12-11 16-13 22-15 (147).