Two Blues triumph in season opener

ROUND 1 wins in enemy territory are a precious commodity in VAFA football so Prahran's win over Ormond on Saturday should be taken at face value.

Granted Ormond was demoted from C Grade with just two wins and a draw last season but they tested Prahran was their pace and will win their share of games in Division 1, especially at home.

The final scoreline of 14-11 (95) to 8-13 (61) did not reveal how close a contest this was.

Make no mistake the result was in doubt as late as 17 minutes into the last quarter.

A Matthew Clifford special, a 55m goal from the boundary line in the first minute of the last quarter stretched the Two Blues lead to 21 points and seemingly with the game in their grasp.

But successive goals to home team narrowed the lead to just nine points and had Prahran supporters nervous as the younger, slicker Ormond threatened.

But the Two Blues steadied kicking five of the next six goals. Clifford came to the rescue again finding Jon Simonetta to calmly goal then Clifford booted another booming 50m goal. Ormond again replied with a goal but the final three goals came in time-on for Max Milward, Clifford and Rory Brodie as the Two Blues took total control.

As coach Craige Milward referenced this was the type of win guest speaker Dale Tapping , 1987 Prahran premiership player and Essendon assistant coach, spoke of at last Wednesday's season launch. 'There will be games you have to win four times', he said. 

Saturday was a perfect case study. Prahran led for all but for a brief moment deep into the first quarter. But every time the Two Blues threatened to break clear Ormond crept closer. In fact but for a run of nine successive points Ormond should have been much closer at three quarter-time.

To the casual spectator the Two Blues attack on the ball was impressive, supported by the observations of both coaches as 'elite'.

While Clifford rightly took the accolades for his last quarter heroics he was barely sighted in the first half, so much so Milward revealed Clifford came to him at half-time to apologise for his lack of influence but said he had more to give, and so it proved.

What should not be forgotten is when the match was in the balance in the first three quarters goal kicking conversion was at a premium with both teams missing gettable set shots. Step up Ethan Plaza who had a 100 per cent conversion rate with the first goal of the game a running goal outside the 45m arc and two set shot goals.

For the Two Blues skipper Rory Brodie continued his competition best and fairest form of last season with a masterly display in the ruck and around the ground marking giving on ballers James Musster and Mackenzie Mayne plenty of supply.

First gamers Max Milward, Clinton Angove and Luke Gorman all made solid contributions. Milward kicked two goals, Angove kicked a telling goal and provided ruck relief while Gorman was an inspiration with his tackling and spoiling in defence.

PRAHRAN 3-3 5-6 8-9 14-11 (95)

ORMOND 3-2 3-7 5-12 8-13 (61)

Goals. Clifford, Plaza 3, Chapman, Brodie, Milward 2, Simonetta, Angove.

Best. Brodie, Bell, Musster, Gorman, Plaza, Clifford.


A competitive season opener for the Reserves after a slow start.

Prahran crept within nine points during the third quarter but Ormond took control again.

Dan Campbell performed well to soon stake a claim on senior selection.

PRAHRAN 0-2 5-5 7-7 10-10 (70)

ORMOND 5-6 7-10 10-13 1-17 (101)

Goals. Jack Matherson 3, O'Sullivan, Marrows 2, Forrestall, Perez, Hughes-Churchett.

Bes. Campbell, Woods,Perez, Spinks, Graham, Loomes.