Two Blues Misses Costly


Prahran Assumption have come up just shy in its final home game for 2015, falling two goals short of St. Marys Salesian at Toorak Park on Saturday afternoon.

With finals out of the equation the Two Blues were out to inflict damage on finals bound St. Mary's and give its supporters one final victory on its home deck. Unfortunately though missed opportunities in front of goals in the last quarter halted the Two Blues chances of victory, going down 10.13.73 to 12.13.85.

It was Prahran’s engine room that shone brightest with Daniel Anglin, James Musster and Paul Donahoo all amongst the best for the Two Blues.

The near perfect conditions for footy set the stage for both sides, and it was the visitors getting the early jump. Much of the play was in St. Mary's attacking half as they got out to an early lead.

The Two Blues regained themselves after conceding four of the first five goals to trail by 15 at the first break.

To top off the disappointing start for Prahran they then had to watch as import player Nathan Costin was stretchered off the field half way into the opening term. This left the Two Blues a man short for the remainder of the contest.

Rick Ellis, Prahran’s sole true key forward would also make his way from the field and would be unable to return later in game, leaving Prahran with just two men on the bench.

St. Mary's would  go into the half just like they did at quarter time, up 15 points, steading the ship after Prahran came out spirited to begin the second period.

The Saints began putting the foot on Prahran’s throat for patches of the third quarter and looked like blowing the game wide open. Credit to Prahran though, who never gave in at any point in the term and gave themselves a tiny sniff in the final term.

After numerous missed Two Blues shots to begin the last quarter, St. Mary’s made Prahran pay by drawing first blood and putting the margin out to nearly five goals.

The Two Blues needed something special, and they found it in senior season debutant Jon Rice who bobbed up to boot two of his three goals for the match In the final term to lift his side and drag them right back into the contest.

With all the momentum, Prahran kept streaming into attack and found themselves lining up for goal yet again, this time through John Robbins. A goal would’ve brought the margin to just four points but Robbins was unable to convert from 30 metres out, almost directly in front.

After being let off the hook on countless occasions throughout the final stanza St. Marys slammed the door shut on the Two Blues thanks to a magical goal from Gary Puruntatameri who danced through two opponents before bending it through from the boundary line for his fourth.

Prahran ended up kicking three goals nine to the Saints two goals one in the last quarter, which will leave a bitter taste in Prahran’s mouths.

The Two Blues will now finish off its season with a road trip to face ladder leaders Ormond next Saturday.

PRAHRAN ASSUMPTION 2-3  5-3  7-4  10-13 (73)

ST MARY'S SALESION       4-5  7-6  10-12  12-13 (85)

Goals: Rice 3, Williams, Robbins 2, Simonetta, Ellis, Pell.

Best: Anglin, Musster, Panagiotaros, Robbins, Donaahoo.


The Reserves accounted for fellow finalist St Mary's in a tight clash to signal a strong defence of their premiership of last year.
The Two Blues will now face ladder leader Ormond before a first sem-final re-match with St Mary's Salesian.

PRAHRAN ASSUMPTION 4-4  8-7 8-9 12-14 (86)

ST MARY'S SALESIAN   1-0 4-0 8-2 11-5 (71)

Goals: Cupples 3, Giansiracusa, Davey 2, Ancrum, Shaw, Forbes, Pascoe, Kelly.

Best: Kerr, Davey, Waters, Pisker, Boylan, Kelly.