Two Blues Gallant in Defeat by Unbeaten Kew


You could not question Prahran Assumption's courage, determination and fight on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately though, all of these traits do not guarantee victory and the Two Blues were unable to cause what would have been the upset of the VAFA Division1 season to date, going down to ladder leaders, Kew, at Toorak Park.

The Two Blues were gallant in defeat, relinquishing the lead for the first time 23 minutes into the third quarter.  From there they were unable to regain it, eventually falling short 9.13.67 to 13.10.88. 

Prahran’s attack and relentless pressure was the highlight of the first term as they kept the top seeded Bears goalless. Nine scoring shots to four is the Two Blues favour was another bright spot for the home side, but like many weeks gone, inaccuracy in front of the big sticks limited Prahran’s potential lead.  With that said, the Two Blues still managed to take a 20 point advantage into the first break.

After going an entire quarter without a goal it took just 12 seconds for Kew to major in the second to settle the nerves. The big question around the ground was whether Prahran Assumption could continue its resounding pressure and start to the game, and although conceding four goals to two in the quarter, kept applying intense tackles and were able to keep the play locked inside it’s forward fifty for minutes on end.  Prahran would end the half with a 10 point lead.

Thirteen minutes into the third quarter and still holding a 10 point buffer optimism turned into genuine belief for all involved with Prahran.  The ferociousness and tenacity was still present for the Two Blues with no signs of slowing up.

Like all good sides though, Kew would respond, and in a big way.  The Bears slammed on six third quarter goals, including five in a row to finish the term, turning a 10 point half time deficit into a 14 point three quarter time advantage.

Prahran could have been forgiven for dropping their heads and to let the match turn into a blow-out.  But much to their credit, the Two Blues fought until the final siren.  Prahran bagged the first two goals of the final quarter and had the margin under a kick before the Bears went bang, bang, bang to pull through with its 11th win from as many games.

It wasn’t the ideal result Prahran were after, however they certainly haven’t lost any friends from its performance and has shown supporters glimpses of its potential.  Ged Hogarth continued on with his strong form as the key forward was stellar in defeat.  He marked everything that came his way and finished with three majors.  

The game also marked the 100th senior appearance for Prahran Assumption player, Tim Maya.  The club favourite fought back tears as he was carried from the ground post match.  

The Two Blues will take a heap of confidence into next week’s match up with Old Mentonians at Toorak Park.  Last time the two met, Prahran found themselves a solitary point in arrears when the final siren sounded.   

PRAHRAN ASSUMPTION 3-6  5-9  7-11 9-13 (67)

KEW                                    0-4 4-5  10-7  13-10 (88)

Goals: G Hogarth, Robbins 3, Watkin, Waters, Taylor.

Best: Durnan, G Hogarth, Musster, N Costin, Taylor, Anglin.


Kew outclassed a disappointing Two Blues team to regain third place on the ladder.

PRAHRAN ASSUMPTION 3-3  4-3  6-4  8-4 (52)

KEW                                 2-4   5-7   9-8   14-15 (99)


Club XIII: 


OLD GEELONG  5-8 (38)

Goals: De Bolfo 8. Myres, T Candy 3, Buultjens , Wilcox, Crewes 2, Walford, Farrell, W Candy.

Best: Keohler, De Bolfo, Hussey, Buultjens, Crewes, Guengerich.