Third Straight victory for Two Blues


Prahran Assumption have run over the top of arch rival Bulleen Templestowe on Saturday afternoon to claim a 45 point victory in Ed MacDonald’s 100th senior game for the club.

​A 9 goal to 3 second half turned what was an even contest in the first half into a resounding 16.9.105 to 9.6.60 win for the Two Blues, and its third straight.

​The win though came at a cost with Prahran skipper Jack Matherson going down with an ankle injury early into the third quarter, leaving Prahran a man down for most of the second half.  Although it had no effect on the result the Two Blues may have to get used to life without their leader as it seems Matherson will face an extended period on the sidelines.

​Prahran, sporting its black clash guernsey, jumped out of the blocks early on Bulleen’s home deck booting three of the first four goals and would respond almost instantaneously every time Bulleen kicked a major of its own.

​The Two Blues held a two goal lead at quarter time and had it not been for Kristian Cherbakof, could have led by a lot more.  Cherbakof booted all three of Bulleen’s first quarter goals and finished with six of the Bull Ants nine for the match.

​The Bull Ants would counter its slow start to the first with two quick goals to start the second term and erase Prahran’s lead.  Bulleen had far more of the play but were unable to steal the lead going into the half. 

​It looked like the match was going to go down to the wire as neither side could break through with quick consecutive majors for the first half of the third quarter.  It was congested, tight footy.  Prahran were able to gain a few forward 50 entries before finally breaking through, thanks to John Robbins.  Then, just like that, the Two Blues went bang, bang, bang and opened up a 30 point lead at the final change.

​Matt Shaw put through the all-important first goal of the last quarter for Prahran and the match was beyond the Bull Ant’s reach.  After the game Ed MacDonald was carried off the ground by his Two Blues team mates to the applause of the Prahran faithful.

​Harry Taylor was Prahran’s best winning a heap of ball whilst also booting three goals. Ged Hogarth booted another four goals and Daniel Anglin was bullish as per usual through the midfield.

​The Two Blues have not leap frogged NOBs and OB/St Pats and sit fifth on the ladder, but are still two games behind fourth placed St Mary’s after they upset Premiership fancies, Kew, by four points.  Prahran face a difficult test next week when they take on third placed Old Geelong at Como Park.  The result of that game with give Prahran a true indication of whether it can and deserves to play finals football.


Prahran have secured its 11th victory of 2015 and sit safety in fourth spot on the ladder following its 5.11.41 to 4.6.30 victory over the Bull Ants.  In a low scoring affair the Two Blues had six more shots but could not take full advantage and kept the match closer than it should have been.